Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) operation cut across almost all sectors of the economy and sustain the majority of households. Their activities form a breeding ground for businesses to thrive and provide one of the most prolific sources of employment.
SMEs are among the leading drivers of growth, innovation, and employment in most parts of Africa. They represent more than 80% of businesses in Kenya and employ up to 75% of the active working population.
This is a 16 weeks course that takes place once a week. It is tailored to meet and solve some of the needs and challenges SMEs face.
The course is hands-on and participant-centered. Through the use of locally developed business case studies, participants are engaged in discussions enabling them to develop problem-solving and good decision-making skills.
Join us to develop your entrepreneurship competencies and gain best practice insights to effectively manage the growth of your venture.
This programme is highly recommended for entrepreneurs running small and medium-sized enterprises in all sectors.
It is ideal for founders and owners of SMEs with:
- an annual turnover of Kshs. 3 million (USD 30,000)
- 3 or more employees
- 3 years or more in business
The programme aims to give entrepreneurs tools and skills to:
- Recognize and take advantage of business opportunities
- Expand their potential by growing and scaling up their businesses
- Develop socially responsible and viable businesses
- Develop innovative practices
- Foster successful business entrepreneurship in the region
The course has two stages. Stage one takes eight weeks while stage two takes eight weeks as well.
Stage 1: (first 8 weeks)
- Developing a competitive strategy for business
- Developing a competitive business plan
- Use and value of financial records
- Cash flow management
- Understanding the legal environment for small business
- Product design and development decisions
- Understanding taxation for small businesses
- Business ethics and social responsibilities
Stage 2: (last 8 weeks)
- Managing business resources
- Business pricing and costing strategies
- Financial management
- Developing a winning marketing strategy for business
- Making business operations better, faster and cheaper
- Enterprise risk management
- Using technology for competitive advantage
- Emerging business opportunities
The course is designed as a 16-week programme divided into two parts 1 and 2.
After each module participants are required to implement key learning and give feedback on their experiences.
The programme also entails business visits where we visit your business together with your classmates.
In the business visit activities, we help you solve some of the problems your business is facing.
The mode of delivery is online.
The faculty hold PhDs from world-renowned institutions and are internationally acclaimed experts for their research on current business issues.
Moreover, they are successful business people, many with their consulting firms, operating in the real world of business.
As a result, classroom discussions provide conceptual frameworks for effective decision making, along with practical tools for real-life implementation
Dr. Hellen Otieno
Dr. Hellen Otieno is a Senior Lecturer and the Faculty Director at the Strathmore University Business School. She has a PhD in Entrepreneurship and Master’s Degree in Economics. She has over twenty years of teaching experience, sixteen of which are at the university level. She is also a member of the Academic and PhD Committee in the School.
Dr. Otieno has built her consultancies and research capacity having participated in several consultancies and research studies both locally and internationally.
Read more about her.
Kindly fill in the form below and we shall send the brochure to you
Executive Entrepreneurship Programmes Brochure Request Form
Enterprise Development Programme - Application Form