The produce-and-then-sell mindset of raw agricultural commodities is quickly being replaced by the strategy of first determining what attributes consumers want in their food products and then creating or manufacturing products with those attributes. Massive post-harvest losses occur due to low-value addition and inadequate cold chain facilities.
Market forces have led to greater opportunities for product differentiation and added value to raw commodities because of: Increased consumer demands regarding health, nutrition and convenience, Efforts by food processors to improve their productivity and, technological advances that enable producers to produce what consumers and processors desire.
Registration of Interest
Investing in Agribusiness Value Addition Programme - Registration of Interest Form
Value addition entails changing a raw agricultural product into something new through packaging, processing, cooling, drying, extracting or any other type of process that differentiates the product from the original raw commodity.
The benefits of investing in agribusiness value addition include increased revenue, precision farming, increased shelf life, improved bargaining power and an opportunity for brand creation caused by consumer loyalty.
Producers have the challenge to be responsive to consumer demands by producing what is desired. Attentiveness to consumer demands in quality, variety and packaging is important because demographic trends show growth in the convenience-oriented, health-conscious, and environmentally concerned sectors where the price is not as important as quality.
As both global and local markets for value-added products become more competitive, it is important for farmers, investors, and other value chain actors to seek ways of taking advantage of the value-adding opportunities.
Moreover, producers are experiencing competitive advantages obtainable with processed products compared to raw commodities.
This programme aims to impart knowledge and actionable insights from faculty and experts on how to make the most of your investment in agricultural value addition and processing opportunities and create the link between production and market.
This programme is designed for the following(but not limited to) individuals who are keen on leveraging on the opportunities in agro-processing and value addition:
- investment groups (Chamas)
- co-operatives, individuals and groups and companies in value addition
- current farmers in primary production agriculture
- government and non-government policymakers
- aspiring investors
After attending this programme, participants should be able to:
- understand consumer food trends to perform market-led production
- understand how to finance a value-addition business
- conceptualize A-Z of raw material sourcing for a value-adding enterprise
- understand the certification and legal compliance in food products
- understand marketing and market dynamics of value-added products
- develop a bankable agribusiness value addition business plan
- analyse business opportunities in agribusiness value addition
- conceptualize and come up with a real and workable business model
- identify and mitigate risks in agribusiness value addition enterprise
- know the factors to consider in selecting a value addition enterprise
- learn manufacturing and production efficiencies
- understand in depth the agricultural local supply chains as a success factor in a value addition enterprise
Key Focus Areas
- Opportunities in agribusiness production
- Agro-processing strategy and execution
- Costing management & pricing in value addition
- Developing comprehensive financing plans
- Developing fundable agro-processing business plans
- Business modelling & strategy formulation
- Agro-processing route to market
- Brand development & management
- Mistakes in processing & value addition
The programme will be delivered in two modules that incorporate a mixture of class sessions and agro-processing firms visits.
The delivery of the course employs a combination of interactive lectures, discussions, reflections and case studies delivered by value addition experts (both academics and practitioners) in the financing field and potential buyers.
The case methodology as a learning technique gives participants a chance to analyse real scenarios, and participate in collaborative problem-solving.
Ministry of Health COVID-19 prevention and safety protocols and guidelines will be adhered to.
Kindly fill in the form below and we shall send the brochure to you.
Agribusiness Management Programmes Brochure Request Form
Application Form - Executive Education
Developing Great African Leaders
Module I: 29th – 31st March 2023
Module II: 26th – 28th April 2023
Cost: Kshs. 98,000
For more information, write to Mercy on firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Tel: +254 (0) 703 034 751/ Cell: +254 (0) 723 362 319.
“Agribusiness is no longer just something you do when you retire. There are massive opportunities for wealth creation such as value addition, which I have realised is not as complicated as I thought. With the right knowledge and strategy, it is a very worthwhile venture.”