The Master of Commerce (MCOM) is a programme designed for those who wish to advance academically and professionally in business science, with specializations in Strategic Management Accounting, Sustainability Accounting, Finance, Marketing, International Business Management, Management Science and Strategic Management.
The MCOM programme seeks to prepare students, not only in the academic field but also prepares graduates to manage organisations in diverse operations. The programme equips candidates with critical skills which are required in the workplace.
The overall aim of the programme is to produce business scientists who are capable of handling the dynamic business environment and transform their organisations. It also prepares graduates to pursue advanced research without having to undergo preparatory classes.
The MCOM programme is structured into a total of 21 units comprising:
- 8 common units
- 5 specialisation units
- 2 elective units
- 6 research equivalent units.
Areas of Specialization
- Accounting Specialisation (2 Options)
- Management Accounting and Control Specialisation
- Forensic Accounting and Investigations Specialisation
- Strategic Management Specialisation
- Management Science Specialisation
- International Business Management Specialisation
- Marketing Specialisation
- Finance Specialisation
- Human Resource Management Specialisation
Mode of Delivery
Evening: Classes run for 3 days in a week from 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm and occasional Saturday mornings (8:30 am – 1:00 pm).
Candidates with the following qualifications are eligible for admission into the Master of Commerce programme at the University:
- Holders of First Class (or GPA of 3.45 – 4) or Upper Second Class (or GPA of 2.85 –3.44) degrees in Commerce or Business Studies from recognized universities; or
- Holders of Lower Second Class degrees in Commerce or Business Studies or at least 2.5 G.P.A plus Postgraduate Diplomas or Certificates in relevant fields of study; or with at least two years of working experience in a business or research environment.
- Holders of First Class, or Upper second or Lower Second Class degrees in non-business related degree or at least 2.5 G.P.A plus at least two years working experience in a business management position, plus a professional qualification in commerce or business-related field.
In addition to meeting any one of the above admission criteria, applicants will be required to submit letters of recommendations supporting the applicants’ academic and professional abilities and attend and pass an oral interview and a written Graduate Entrance Examination (GEE).
Applicants who have taken Commerce or Business-related graduate courses at other recognized universities and obtained a grade C+ or above may be allowed to transfer credits. Applicants will not be allowed to transfer more than 50% of the course units to their program.
All applicants will be required to show evidence of proficiency in the English language.
Fees and Funding
The programme fee is Kshs 636,720
Application Fee: Kshs. 5,000
*Please note that SBS reserves the rights to amend the fee periodically.
If you meet the admission requirements, please send the following documentation
to: email@example.com: –
- A completed the Graduate Studies application form
- Certified copy of the undergraduate certificate
- Certified copy of the undergraduate transcript of records (TOR) in English giving full details of subjects studied and grades/marks obtained
- Certified copy of KCSE certificate
- English language proficiency results where required
- Two (2) completed Reference Forms from former undergraduate/graduate professors and/or employer particularly qualified to attest to the applicant’s qualification for graduate study
- An updated Curriculum Vitae/Resume
- 2 passport size photos
- A copy of National Identity Card (ID) or copy of Passport (bio-data page)
- Kshs. 5,000/- application fee.
Graduate Entrance Exam
You will be required to sit and pass the Graduate Entrance Exam (G.E.E) administered at the Business School every Wednesday and Friday at 2 pm.
Note: The GEE is a written exam. An Oral Interview will be carried out after the written exam.
Kindly fill in the form below and we shall send the brochure to you
Masters Programmes Brochure Request Form
Masters Programmes Application Form