The Master of Management in Agribusiness programme is designed to meet the growing need for agribusiness professionals with advanced conceptual, critical thinking and quantitative training.
The programme provides a unique blend of analytical, behavioural economics and business capabilities. The programme explores management and innovation in the context of the distinctive relationship between land, agribusiness and the global trading environment.
Kenyan and international students will appreciate the constraints and opportunities confronting leaders and managers operating in the agribusiness sectors including the understanding, analysis and management of bio-economic systems and agribusiness products and services.
What Makes our Master of Management in Agribusiness Different?
- Facilitated by a mix of top and reputable local and international faculty
- Guest lectures and workshops led by industry experts
- Field trips to a variety of reputable local and multinational agribusiness companies
- Practical master’s dissertation
- Global fellowship upon completing the course work
- Focus on the holistic development of the leaders in the agribusiness sector
- 50 years of experience producing graduates of international standard
- Combining academic rigour with real-life application.
- Extremely practical with farm modules
- Powerful networking.
- A beautiful Kenyan environment and world-class standards and maintenance.
- A serious commitment to the individual and the community.
- Strathmore is ranked among the best in everything it undertakes.
The world’s massive agricultural industry needs leaders who can tackle complex issues. With the global population growing at unprecedented rates, food production will need to double by 2050 – and geopolitical matters, limited water supplies and concerns about sustainability are becoming increasingly important.
The programme is designed to meet the needs of executives keen on enhancing their management capabilities in agricultural input supply, agricultural production, commodity assembly and agro-processing, agricultural marketing organizations, environmental management, agricultural transport, storage and logistics, agricultural policy and global food systems. It provides a system-wide perspective of managerial problems confronting such leaders and leads them a path of providing sustainable solutions.
The programme will produce graduates with sound ethical judgment, rigorous analysis, management competencies and ability to define and solve problems facing the agricultural and food sector in Africa. It will prepare participants to help the global food and agribusiness sectors reinvent themselves.
Why undertake the Master of Management in Agribusiness at Strathmore University Business School?
A Firm Foundation: Strathmore was started in 1961 as an A-Level College by a group of professionals, who were inspired and encouraged by Saint Josémaria Escrivá, founder of Opus Dei.
A unique Concept: Think for a moment about our beautiful continent—diverse in people, rich in culture and natural resources and well known for its hospitality. SBS captures these themes in one business concept: Developing Great Business Leaders. This is in perfect harmony with the founding principle of Strathmore University: that of leading society to greater development through service to all people.
A culture of Ethics and Learning: SBS encourages participants to aim for high ethical standards. We realize that the potential of Africa lies here and we can take Africa forward to a world where commitment and respect for each person form a strong basis for business decisions. Case studies are selected to bring the Agribusiness challenges in class and give the students the reality of the sector. The group interaction and participatory approach to teaching and learning give the participants a chance to analyze new business problems while sharpening business decision-making skills.
Focus on People: SBS knows that it is people who matter. People are the heart of any organization and key to sustaining any organization. People are always our main focus in all we do. We give you personalized management education, with special emphasis on human and ethical values.
Strong Research Basis: The foundation for all Strathmore Business School programs is based on research conducted by our faculty as well as our other partners both in Academia as well as the industry. This research is based on our quest to provide sustainable solutions to our society through innovative capacity building programmes with hands-on experience. Publications: Strathmore University Press (SUP), established in 2004, allows each participant to read the latest research and conference writings. The press also gives you a chance to write and share your reflections with the academic world.
Networking: Our alumni and partners span the globe; this provides a great opportunity to build business networks. The composition of the participants allows for the exchange of ideas with peers in various sectors. Your Strathmore MMA classmates represent various sectors of the food and agribusiness industries. By exchanging experiences and ideas through our blended curriculum, international travel and our visiting lecturers, you expand your professional network and establish lifelong friendships.
Learn relevant and immediately applicable content: Credentialed faculty members balance theory with real-life application to strengthen your critical-thinking skills. Through the capstone project, you transfer classroom concepts to the workplace by focusing on a significant issue at your company.
Career pragmatism: SBS delivers a hands-on understanding of the business enterprise. The ability to solve complex agribusiness questions and the skills that are in demand by employers, including critical thinking, leadership, teamwork and communication. All leading to someone who can make a difference for Africa, Kenya, your community and your family.
Experience global business situations: Exploring issues from a global perspective throughout the MMA prepares you for the ultimate experience—a two –three-week international residency. The trip exposes you to first-hand global business situations and solidifies classroom discussions surrounding international challenges and opportunities.
Participants who complete the MMA programme will be able to:
- Lead Kenya and Africa in addressing the tough questions facing food insecurity, new food value chains and provide a new era of entrepreneurial thinking to the many facets of agribusiness
- Work with economics and policy from an international perspective with a special emphasis on food, agribusiness and development.
- Gain knowledge about the way economic incentives can regulate the consumption and production of food, and why rich parts of the world have large food stocks while people in the third world are starving
- Broaden basic knowledge in economics, as well as profound knowledge concerning agricultural, environmental, and consumer issues
- Gain analytical conceptional skills for quickly acquainting oneself different topics
- Become more innovative and independent thinkers
- Gain professional and social skills for the fulfilment of executive functions
As an MMA graduate, you’ll have two key advantages in the global agribusiness marketplace:
- A distinct academic qualification of Master of Management in Agribusiness from one of Africa’s top business school
- Practical experience in local and international business environments
- An extensive network that will allow you to work anywhere in the world
The content of the agribusiness master’s programme is a blend of business acumen and agricultural entrepreneurship, as well as, a combination of classic, economic subjects with production engineering subjects from agricultural sciences.
The programme, therefore, pays tribute to the changes in the agricultural sector – with trends moving away from primary production towards the growing food processing and marketing industry. Future topics such as food safety, sustainable production, and resource conservation are thereby constantly in the focus of teaching and research.
The programme is designed such that students receive expert knowledge which complements their respective backgrounds. Students with agricultural or natural science backgrounds obtain additional qualifications in economic subjects.
The standard period of study of this Master’s programme is two and a half years on a modular structure.
The programme is divided into three key components
- A compulsory section
- An elective section
- The dissertation and international fellowship
- Producers, processors, and distributors of agricultural and food products
- Investors keen on enhancing their management skills in the agribusiness sector
- Marketers of fresh and packaged foods, convenience meals, and snacks
- Major grocery chains, speciality food retailers, and food-service providers
- Manufacturers and distributors of agricultural supplies and farm equipment
- Financial services firms that directly serve the agribusiness industry
- Government agencies and educational institutions that further agribusiness for the public good
- County government executives and directors of agriculture
- Biotech companies that shape the future of global food, pharmaceutical, and energy sectors
- Researchers who are keen on shaping the agribusiness research think tanks
- Management teams of co-operatives and Sacco’s
- Anyone interested in investing in the Agribusiness Sector
- Holders of First Class or Upper Second Class Honours degrees from recognized universities; or
- Holders of other related qualifications from recognized universities, considered by the Academic Council as equivalent to a First Class or Upper Second Class degree; or
- Holders of Lower Second Class degrees plus Postgraduate Diplomas or Certificates.
- Any other criteria that may be approved by the Academic Council. All applicants will also be required to attend and pass an oral interview and a Graduate Entrance Examination (GEE). A valid Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) score may be used instead of the GEE.
Fees and Funding
The programme fee is Kshs. 1,340,000
- Strathmore University Business School reserves the right to change the programme fee
How to Apply
Application forms are available at the SBS office or can be downloaded from here
Send the completed form with your CV, two reference letters (one academic and one personal/employer), copies of your degree certificates and transcripts and 2 passport size photographs to firstname.lastname@example.org
You may also drop your fully completed application form at our offices at Strathmore University Business School.
Kindly fill in the form below and we shall send the brochure to you
Masters Programmes Brochure Request Form
Masters Programmes Application Form