Private Equity and Venture Capital (private equity) is becoming a key source of cash for entrepreneurs and a mainstay asset class for return seeking institutions and individuals.
While most investors have relied on and understand how to evaluate and make investments in traditional asset classes the same cannot be said of the alternative category of which private equity is key. As an emerging asset class, the level of understanding on how to choose a good manager when allocating funds to PE funds, select, value, structure, add value and eventually exit the companies invested in is still low.
On the other hand, several entrepreneurs who receive this source of financing report facing challenges once private equity investors come on board. Challenges range from entrepreneurs feeling that the investors want too much control, that they do not deliver on the promises made at the entry to differing expectations at the exit point in terms of timing and how a sale should be executed.
This revamped program takes a modular approach which ensures that it meets the needs of different players in the private equity lifecycle.
If you are a pension fund, insurance company, corporate, family office or development finance institution looking to invest in the asset class (also known as limited partner) the first module on understanding private equity and venture capital is for you.
If you are lawyer or a tax or investment advisor assisting with valuation, deal structuring, due diligence or negotiation the second module on the process of private equity process for you. If you work in a fund as an analyst or investment manager and want to improve your investment process you will find this module value adding.
On the other hand if your interest is to find out how to add value to deals and exit them successfully the third module on value addition and exits is for you.
Lastly if you are an entrepreneur who is interested in this funding option or is already in and is looking at how to navigate the opportunities and challenges that come with it the fourth module on PE/VC the entrepreneur’s perspective is definitely for you.
- To aid the understanding of this asset class, its risks, potential returns and how to incorporate it into a portfolio of other asset classes
- To build skills of the participant in evaluation, valuation, structuring and negotiation of investments within this asset class
- To explore the key value addition channels that aid in creation of returns
- To review and understand different exit strategies for investments within this asset class
- To identify the key challenges and opportunities of this asset class as regards the relationship between entrepreneurs and investors.
- To network with industry practitioners and exchange views on the best practice on various aspects
Key Learning Outcomes
Some topics to be covered include:
- Understanding the position of alternative asset classes in your portfolio
- Evaluating a private equity opportunities
- Valuation principles
- Negotiations and deal structuring
- Value addition
- Investment exit
- Interact with and learn from leading industry practitioners
- Learn using up to date case studies which simulate real deal scenarios
- Get access to online financial modelling content on valuation to compliment your learning at highly discounted prices
- Interact with participants from different countries, sectors and backgrounds
The course is geared towards potential and existing investors in this asset class, entrepreneurs seeking to interact with the asset class, consultants and service providers.
Participants are drawn from insurance companies, investment banks, pension funds, venture and private equity firms, family businesses, private investors, investment groups, angel investors, incubators and accelerators.
The course will be relevant for entrepreneurs seeking to raise funds in this asset class as a means of understanding the mind of the investor to help in preparing their organizations for funding.
Service providers who will greatly benefit from this training include accountants, lawyers and finance professionals.
This is not an introductory course, it will take a deep dive into key concepts and issues within this asset class.
While no technical prerequisites are required a general understanding of investments and the investment process is required.
This programme aims to provide the participants with necessary skills to evaluate, value, structure, negotiate, invest in and manage investments within this asset class.
Four key themes help to structure the delegate’s learning and to integrate the skills development process:
- Strategic Frameworks and Industry Background
- The Practitioner’s Toolkit
- Applying the Tools
- Practical Perspectives
The PE/VC industry is examined using a number of strategic profiling dimensions:
- Different industry sectors
- Different stages of investment
- Different types of advisory services
The different stages of the PE/VC Value Chain are used to organise a “Practitioner’s Toolkit” in terms of key analytical methodologies:
- Post Investment
To address the need for practical hands-on learning the course will be taught by a mix of industry practitioners and highly qualified faculty from Strathmore University Business School with vast experience in this asset class.
The sessions will be complimented with panel discussions facilitated by entrepreneurs and different industry leaders.
Do you have any questions you would like answered? Send your enquiry to our Programme Administrator, by filling in the following form.
Private Equity & Venture Capital Enquiry Form
Kindly fill in the form below and we shall send the brochure to you
Finance Programmes Brochure Request Form