Media reports often highlight challenges in the public sector, such as inefficiencies, rights abuses, and a disconnect with citizens.
A strong governance framework, emphasizing the rule of law, inclusion, transparency, collaboration, and participation is critical to improve the quality of a society. Effective leadership, informed policy-making, and partnerships are key to achieving this vision. Public sector leaders need to embody these principles, inspire their teams, and build trust with citizens.
Strathmore University’s Institute of Public Policy and Governance (IPPG) is committed to strengthening public sector leadership in Africa.
This course is designed to support public sector leaders in Africa in aligning with Agenda 2063‘s objectives.
It focuses on strengthening governance skills and enhancing the efficiency of African governments.
Participants will also gain insights into ethical leadership and key governance values.
The programme is designed for both Public and Private Sector Leaders in African countries who are involved in critical decision making in the making of public policy and its implementation.
These includes Government officials:
- PS, Secretaries, and directors;
- Parastatal officials: CEO, Directors, and Senior managers;
- County Governments like CEC, County Executives Committee members, Chief Officers.
Participants will be selected based on professional achievements and organizational responsibilities.
Elevate your leadership capabilities and strategic insights with our comprehensive programme tailored for African governance. The following are the benefits:
- Practical insights into Agenda 2063
- Guidance from renowned policy and leadership experts
- Networking opportunities
- Focus on enhancing ethics in leadership
- Strategies for improving efficiency and effectiveness in African governance
Key Focus Areas
Participants will cover the following areas in 4 modules:
- Public Leadership in the 21st Century Global Dynamics of Public Leadership, Understanding the African State, Public Leadership in Africa, The Policymaking process in Africa & Writing a Policy brief (Practical skills)
- Leading Policy Design Effective Policy Development Policy Instruments, Effective Policy Development, Policy design in Practice, The Role of Evidence in Policy Making & Stakeholder Analysis and Strategic Communications (Practical skills)
- International dimensions of Public Policy Funding Public Policy, Development Finance as a Policy lever, International Non-State actors and policy development in Africa, Regional Public Policy Efforts & Negotiating in Public Interest (Practical skills)
- Delivering Public Policy Building Strong Public Sector Organizations, Performance Management in the Public Sector, Writing Workshop, Street-level Bureaucrats and Policy Implementation & Policy Brief Presentations & Programme Wrap up (Practical skills)
The delivery of the course combines expert-led lectures, strategic discussions, and real-world case studies, all facilitated by renowned policy and leadership professionals.
Through the case methodology, participants delve into practical scenarios, fostering collaborative problem-solving.
The course is conducted in-person at the distinguished SBS campus, offering a focused and immersive learning environment.
The programme is facilitated and led by a seasoned faculty committed to advancing public sector leadership in Africa, our programme aligns with Agenda 2063’s objectives.
Our diverse faculty offers varied perspectives, ensuring participants receive a holistic and enriching educational experience.
Executive Public Policy Programmes Brochure Request Form