7th December 2015
The Strathmore University Council this morning appointed an independent committee of respected professionals to investigate the circumstances leading to the decision to execute the drill of 30th November 2015 and make recommendations within 7 days thereof.
The Committee members are:
1. Colonel (rtd) Hillary Kilingi Kioko – Chairperson
2. Mrs. Catherine Mumma – Vice Chairperson
3. Prof. Anne W.T. Muigai – Member
4. Mr. Gikonyo Mwangi – Member
5. Mr. James Nyiha – Member
6. Mr. Paschal Manyuru – Member
7. Mr. Patrick Keta – Member
8. Mr. Guguni Nyabade – Member
9. Mr. Jagi Gakunju – Member
10. Anthony Kahindi – Secretariat
11. Eunice Njogu – Secretariat
The committee has immediately commenced work with the following terms of reference:
Terms of reference:
1. To determine how the drill/simulation was prepared and who was involved in the preparations (both internally and externally).
2. To determine how and by whom the decision was made as to the content of the event and design of the simulation.
3. To understand the mobilization and use of resources involved in the planning and execution of the simulation.
4. To understand the decision making process in the roles of:
(i) The Strathmore University Security Committee
(ii) The Strathmore University Management Board
(iii) The Strathmore University Council
5. To understand and assess the adequacy of the training and information flow for the following groups before the event was executed:
(i) The Strathmore University students
(ii) The Strathmore University staff
(iii) The Strathmore University stakeholders
6. To understand the shortcomings in the strategic management of the drill that may need to be addressed to avert similar disasters in the future.
7. To recommend what actions should be taken on any persons found culpable based on the report.
8. To give recommendations regarding the victims.
9. To advise on how the University can redeem its image.
The University Community continues to condole with the family of the late Esther Kidambi and is praying for the quick recovery of students and staff affected in the fateful incident.
Council Chair, Strathmore University