Published On: November 21, 2022|Categories: News|By |

Strathmore University Business School (SBS) Facilitates the Ghana and Cameroon Modules of the Leadership, Management, and Governance (LMG) Program

Over the past three months, we have facilitated three Modules of the Leadership, Management, and Governance (LMG) Program. We kicked-off with the Kenya Module which took place in September 2022 and most recently, we facilitated the Ghana and Cameroon Modules where we trained 35 participants in each of the countries. The participants represented 80 per cent of government officials with the remaining 20 per cent representing other government partners.

The LMG training is part of a grant by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to facilitate Leadership, Management, and Governance (LMG) training for the senior leadership of National Malaria Control Program and the Ministry of Health in six countries – Kenya, Mali, Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, Rwanda and Cameroon.

The primary objectives of this Program are to develop and equip leaders and managers of NMCP to make effective use of data to inform decision making, to function effectively in their leadership and management roles, and to be able to attract resources and efficiently use those resources to manage malaria (and other vector-borne disease) programs sustainably and cost-effectively within the African context. This will allow high-burden malaria countries to transition from aid dependency to sustainable health system performance.

Malaria eradication is a top priority for the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) with focus on:

  1. Reduction of the burden of malaria by expanding the use of effective existing tools, including preventive medication and case management, improving disease surveillance and data for decision-making high-burden settings;
  2. Acceleration of progress toward eradication by investing in next-generation surveillance systems, elimination in regions where drug-resistant malaria has emerged, and research and development efforts, and
  3. Getting ahead of resistance by eliminating falciparum malaria – the type that causes the most severe cases – by developing a robust pipeline of new treatments, and analyzing disease and mosquito genetic data to quickly respond to threats.

For these to be achieved, it is important for malaria leadership in Africa to be equipped with LMG skills to facilitate informed decision making across several policy implementation levels of the health systems.

By Juliet Hinga

Would you like to share an article? Write to us at sbscommunication@strathmore.edu

Share

Recent