Globally, the role of business in society is being questioned and due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it is changing. Once seen as the generators of jobs and wealth, companies are increasingly seen as harming people and the environment through a narrow focus on profits. There is a call to move from Shareholder Capital to Stakeholder Capital. Clients, regulators, employees, consumers, and investors are asking businesses to contribute to solving the social and environmental challenges worldwide. In Africa, the same applies.
What should business leaders do? Corporate social responsibility initiatives are no longer seen as enough.
Shared value is a business management strategy in which companies find business opportunities in social problems. This online five half-day sessions course shows you how to rethink current strategies and business models, combining profit and purpose. Learn how the powerful and fast-growing Shared Value approach can help your company mitigate risk and improve your company’s value to society, as it has for companies across our continent and beyond.
Strathmore University Business School in partnership with The Shared Value Africa Initiative (SVAI), is offering an online five half-day sessions course designed to introduce the business management concept of creating Shared Value to African businesses, government bodies, non-profit organisations and other institutions on the continent.
Through combining theoretical frameworks, local and international case studies and interactive discussion, the course:
- Delves into realistic African Shared Value case studies for practical examples of implementation
- Provides exercises and group work to show delegates the Shared Value approach to business strategy
- Gives delegates a well-rounded understanding of the Shared Value business model as it can be applied to a variety of industries
- Provides information and guidelines on starting, creating, and implementing Shared Value
This programme is ideal for (but not limited to):
- Sustainability Managers/ Directors
- Corporate Affairs Managers/ Directors
- Strategist – Senior/ Middle Management
- Compliance Officers
- Planning Officers
- Operations Manager/ Directors
- Small Enterprises Management
- General Managers
- Regional Managers
- Procurement Managers/ Directors
- Resource Manager/Director
- CFOs/ CMOs
Key Focus Areas
- The business benefits of adopting the Shared Value business model
- How companies across Africa and beyond have implemented measures to contribute to the achievement of relevant SDGs, thereby securing a social license to operate
- How to define and look at the financial and social value your company is creating
- How Shared Value enables businesses to attract investment and build partnerships through a global network of organisations actively solving social problems while generating financial profit
- The mindset shift you need – from ‘charity’ to addressing social issues which intersect with your core business, enabling profit with purpose
- The importance of the Sustainable Development Goals in an organisations day to day Shared Value operations
Key Learning Outcomes
By the end of the training, you will be able to:
- Understand the theory behind the Shared Value framework
- Differentiate between Shared Value, philanthropy, corporate social responsibility, and other related buzzwords
- Understand how companies have used Shared Value to address a social issue while benefiting their organisation
- Motivate the adoption of Shared Value strategies to company management and the C-Suite
- Understand the importance of collaboration, partnerships, and ecosystems
- Insights on how to craft a purpose statement for your organisation that will guide the development of Shared Value strategy and its implementation
The programme will be delivered using a Participant/ learner-centred approach in which a combination of methods will be used i.e.
- Interactive online classroom sessions
- Case study analysis
- Working Groups
- Experience Sharing Workshop: Business priority challenge project progress presentation to stakeholders
- Local case studies presented by guest speakers from organisations practising Shared Value
The Shared Value Africa Initiative
Africa has specific needs that cannot be addressed from the outside in; there is a real need for African-driven solutions to African problems, and Shared Value is the key. For the innovative, forward-thinking business, real growth opportunities can be found in addressing social challenges.
The Shared Value Africa Initiative aims to bring together businesses and business communities from across Africa with a common purpose: to build the African economy.
Through partnerships with a variety of stakeholder groups, including regional and national corporations, non-profits, multi-and bilateral development agencies, and foundations, the SVAI is busy creating Africa’s most powerful business network.
Shared Value Executive Programme Request Brochure
Shared Value Executive Programme - Registration of Interest Form
Shared Value Executive Programme Application Form