Kindly fill in your details in the form below to express your interest in the programme
Globally, the role of business in society is being questioned. Once seen as the generators of jobs and wealth, companies are increasingly seen as harming people and the environment through a narrow focus on profits. Clients, regulators, employees and investors are asking businesses to contribute to solving the social and environmental challenges worldwide. On our continent, the same applies.
What should business leaders do? Corporate social responsibility initiatives are no longer seen as enough.
Shared value is a management strategy in which companies find business opportunities in social problems. This three-day course shows you how to rethink combining profit and social impact. Learn how the powerful and fast-growing Shared Value approach can help your company mitigate risk and improve your company’s value to society, as it has for companies across our continent and beyond.
Strathmore University Business School in partnership with The Shared Value Africa Initiative (SVAI), is offering a three-day course designed to introduce the concept of creating Shared Value to African businesses, government bodies, non-profit organisations and other institutions on the continent.
Through combining theory framework, local and international case studies and interactive discussion, the course:
- Is aligned with the Harvard Business School Shared Value course
- Delves into real-world African Shared Value case studies for practical examples of implementation
- Provides exercises to show delegates the Shared Value approach to business strategy
- Gives delegates a well-rounded understanding of the Shared Value business model as it can be applied to a variety of industries
This programme is ideal for (but not limited to):
- Sustainability Managers/ Directors
- Corporate Affairs Managers/ Directors
- Strategist – Senior/ Middle Management
- Compliance Officers
- Planning Officers
- Operations Manager/ Directors
- Small Enterprises Management
- General Managers
- Regional Managers
- Procurement Managers/ Directors
- Resource Manager/Director
- CFOs/ CMOs
Key Focus Areas
- The business benefits of adopting the Shared Value business model
- How companies across Africa and beyond have implemented measures to contribute to the achievement of relevant SDGs, thereby securing a social license to operate
- How to talk about the financial and social value your company is creating
- How Shared Value enables businesses to attract investment and build partnerships through a global network of organisations actively solving social problems while generating financial profit
- The mindset shift you need – from ‘charity’ to addressing social issues which intersect with your core business, enabling profit with purpose
Key Learning Outcomes
By the end of the training, you will be in a position to:
- Understand the theory behind the Shared Value framework
- Differentiate between Shared Value, philanthropy, corporate social responsibility, and other related buzzwords
- Understand how companies have used Shared Value to address a social issue while benefiting their organisation
- Motivate the adoption of Shared Value strategies to company management and the C-Suite
- Communicate and collaborate more effectively with your business’s stakeholders
- Craft a purpose statement for your organisation that will guide the development of Shared Value strategy and its implementation
The programme will be delivered using a Participant/ learner centered approach in which a combination of methods will be used i.e.
- Interactive classroom sessions
- Case study analysis
- Experience Sharing workshop: Business priority challenge project progress presentation to stakeholders
- Guest speakers and mentoring companies sharing best practices
The Shared Value Africa Initiative
Africa has specific needs that cannot be addressed from the outside in; there’s a real need for African-driven solutions to African problems, and Shared Value is the key. For the innovative, forward-thinking business, real growth opportunities can be found in addressing social challenges.
The Shared Value Africa Initiative aims to bring together businesses and business communities from across Africa with a common purpose: to build the African economy.
Through partnership with a variety of stakeholder groups, including regional and national corporations, non-profits, multi-and bilat eral development agencies and foundations, the SVAI will create Africa’s most powerful business network.
Kindly fill in your details below to download the brochure.
For more information, write to Helen on firstname.lastname@example.org or on email@example.com. Tel: +254 (0) 703 034 388 / Cell: +254 (0) 720 304 209.
Dates: 23rd – 25th March 2020
Programme fee: TBD