While governments have successfully implemented management improvements over the past decade, many still struggle with the issue of successful policy-making and implementation.
Common problems include: rushing to solutions without thorough analysis, elegantly written policy documents without adequate implementation arrangements, lack of integration of policy-making into annual and medium-term budgeting leading to inadequate funding for new policies, lack of imagination in the choice of policy instruments and methods of implementation, formal evaluation processes than have no impact on policy on the ground.
This 5-day course is designed to enable middle and senior-level officers in public, private and social sectors to participate effectively in the development of policies and implementation schemes that deliver results.
This programme aims to impart knowledge and enhance participants’ understanding of how public policy is made including, how to design policy instruments, effective implementation schemes, monitoring and evaluation schemes and effective communication strategies for policy decisions.
The programme is offered in 5 modules in a span of six months. Each module runs for 4 days a week.
Key Learning Outcomes
By the end of the programme, you should be able to:
- Understand and be able to follow the stages in the policy-making, implementation and monitoring and evaluation processes
- Be able to advise on the most appropriate policy instruments to use for a policy objective
- Actively engage in the implementation process
- Selectively apply modern business strategy methods to public policy issues
- Contribute to the design and execution of monitoring and evaluation schemes
Key Focus Areas
Participants will cover the following topics:
- Introduction to public policy analysis
- Politics of policy-making
- Stakeholder analysis
- Policy implementation
- Risks in the policy-making process
- Monitoring and evaluation
- Advocacy and lobbying
- Negotiation skills
- Fighting corruption
LeHHo , like all SBS programmes, focuses on the person, benefiting him and, in extension, the healthcare institution for which he works.
This programme will enable you to:
- Be in a vantage position to shape healthcare provision in the region for the next decade
- Capture and implement innovation to achieve organisational excellence and improve financial outcomes
- Evaluate new healthcare delivery models and understand how they affect your organisation
- Get a unique opportunity to network with industry leaders from both the public and private health sector
- Apply best practices in management and healthcare delivery to help your organisation sustain competitive advantage
The programme heavily employs the case methodology as a learning technique, that gives participants a chance to analyze real public policy negotiation scenarios as they immerse themselves in various contemporary negotiation challenges, group discussions and lectures delivered by public policy experts (both academic and practitioners).
The mode of delivery is in-person.
Programme Structure and Format
- A presentation of the framework and analysis of international experience
- A case study through which participants will reinforce and apply their learning
- A ‘reflections and applications’ session, in which the whole class works on how what they have learned should be applied to the Government of the Republic of Uganda and its policy processes
To address the need for practical hands-on learning the course will be taught by a mix of industry practitioners and highly qualified faculty from Strathmore University Business School with vast experience in leadership development.
Uganda Leadership Development Academy Programmes Brochure Request Form