The dairy industry in Kenya is one of the largest and advanced in Africa, with an estimated 5 billion litres produced in the country. A recent study showed that Kenya leads Sub-Saharan Africa on per-capita milk consumption and leads globally among developing countries. With the continuous population growth and the expansion of the middle class, it’s estimated that by 2030 each Kenyan will consume double their current consumption of milk and milk products, currently estimated to be 111 litres per year.
The dairy industry in Kenya leads in East Africa and is the fastest growing single sub-sector in agriculture in the country. It accounts for approximately 14% of agricultural GDP and an estimated 1 million jobs at farm level.The sector has great potential for growth, but despite the high investment into it, the sector is yet to achieve its full potential.
Four key challenges that affect entrepreneurs within this sector include:
- Seasonal fluctuation of production which affects the processors’ ability to absorb all the milk, leading to periods of surplus followed shortly by that of low volumes
- Low milk production
- Operating below optimal capacity, leading to lower incomes
- Poor farm management: Many farms rely on farm managers, yet the managers lack the strategic level of knowledge to drive the vision of the owners
The Dairy Investors Programme will seek to equip investors keen on building wealth in the dairy sector with critical skill and knowledge that will guarantee them a return on their dairy investment.
Area of Focus
Key focus areas include:
- Key Success factors for dairy enterprises
- Dairy cattle feeding and nutrition
- Forage production and preservation
- Fundamentals of Cow Comfort and Cow Housing
- Fertility and Breeding
- Record keeping for a dairy farm
- Financial management – Cost and Profit analysis
- Optimization in dairy production and risk management
- Dairy farm planning and resource management
- Young stock management
- Soil fertility management
- Animal care and management – culling, dehorning and hoof care
- Route to market for a dairy investor
- Working capital management and management decisions
- Milk quality and proper milking techniques
- Dairy Supplementation
Attending this programme will:
- Expose you to the best practices in the dairy sector and to the opportunities that exist to improve your portfolio as a dairy investor.
- Expose you to the most advanced agricultural working methods in the dairy sector and equip you with the necessary skills and tools to adopt them.
- Give you a deeper understanding of what it takes to successfully manage and run a profitable commercial dairy farm, operating at an optimal capacity.
- Give you a deeper understanding of how to plan and manage your farm and your resources.
- Give you an opportunity to share your experiences and network with other dairy investors and experts.
- Expose you to new opportunities, innovations and technologies in the dairy sector.
- Equip you with the tools to model your business effectively and gain access to markets for your produce.
Module I will be delivered through a series of highly interactive classroom sessions, facilitated by experts within the sector and highly qualified faculty, as well as practical sessions which involve an on-farm visit to a local dairy farm.
Module II will involve a 5 day intensive international exchange to selected farms in the Denmark, a world leader in the Dairy sector.
Meals and Programme materials will be provided to the participants of this program in both modules.
Who Should Attend?
This programme is designed for investors keen on investing in the dairy sector, commercial dairy farmers looking to optimize productivity and to increase profitability and investment groups keen on investing in the dairy sector.
This programme is ideal for individuals who are ready to invest to acquire knowledge and are motivated to implement their learnings on their farm.
Request Brochure Form
Application Form - Executive Education
Developing Great African Leaders
Module I: 26th July – 28th August 2023
Module II: 24th – 28th August 2023
For more information on the programme, write to email@example.com or
call Mercy on +254 (0) 723 362 319.