Community Economic Development (CED) differs from development projects led by the private or public sector alone. It takes place in a particular geographical “neighborhood”, whether large or small, rural or urban, and is directed by the citizens of the community or communities that make up that neighborhood.
It is a bottom-up endeavor, based on the belief that members of communities are fully capable of identifying and undertaking sustainable community-based economic development initiatives and activities using their own resources for the good of their common communal welfare as a whole.
This course provides the basic concepts, knowledge, strategy and skills of Community Economic Development together with clear practical advice on how to identify, promote and enhance local assets and resources in a systematic and integrated way. The course is designed to provide participants with the core competency needed to initiate and oversee community economic development projects at County, sub-County and Ward
Who Should Attend?
- County/Local Government Policy Makers
- Elected and Appointed County Officials
- Persons involved in the design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of community economic development projects.
- Community-Based Practitioners and Leaders
- Development Economists
- Donor and NGO Officers working with communities
- Comprehend the concept, strategies and benefits of public participation at national, county and sub-county authorities levels.
- Understand the key components of community economic development planning and practice.
- Be familiar with participatory data collection and analytics in the context of decision-making, implementation of economic development initiatives, and impact assessment.
- Comprehend the roles of various stakeholders involved in governing, managing and administering service delivery for local communities.
Applicants should have:
- A university degree
- A completed application form
- Current involvement in a county/local government entity or community economic development organization or institution is advantageous but not required.
For more information on the programme and details about the admission procedure, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com or call +254 722 233 736.
Dates: 13th – 17th May 2019
Cost: Kshs. 97,000