“Over 90 per cent of business leaders state that sustainability is critical for the future success of their business”
Global challenges such as increasing poverty, climate change, heightened levels of social inequality and resource scarcity among other problems interact and affect the functioning of various local institutions. The necessity for integrating sustainability concerns into the economy, business and society to resolve the aforementioned challenges, is urgent and timely. Creating employment opportunities, sustaining economic growth and eradicating poverty in a carbon-constrained world requires a restructuring of economic systems and a deeper understanding of the boundaries of our ecological systems. To achieve the aspirations of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) requires deep collaborative effort from the private sector, civil society and governmental institutions.
The incorporation of social and environmental stewardship and ethics into organizational strategy will continue to be a key determinant of long-term growth and competitive advantage. We already see several organizations who have placed sustainability issues at the core of their strategy outperforming those who continue to latch onto a “business as usual” approach. Successful organizations understand that the challenges posed by sustainable development can actually be reconceived as opportunities for building stronger and more resilient institutions.
The Sustainability Leadership Programme (SLP) aims to build the capacity of key decision makers and executives to create and turn sustainability initiatives within their organizations into drivers of economic value.
Themes and Topics Explored
- Global System Pressures and Trends-Understanding and responding to complex and intertwined economic, social and ecological problems
- Developing and presenting a strong business case for sustainability through Shared Value
- Measuring sustainability performance through sustainability/ESG reporting frameworks
- Enhancing sustainability leadership and strategy
- Designing purpose-led and resilient organizations
Benefits of Attending
By the end of the programme, participants should be able to:
- Gain a deep understanding of how emergent sustainability challenges and trends impact their sectors, roles and regions
- Identify the sustainability opportunities for their organizations, and how to leverage them as a source of competitive advantage
- Understand the business case for sustainability and the necessity for innovative organizational models that create positive social and ecological impact e.g. Creating Shared Value
- Develop their leadership, specifically the capacity to anticipate change and to develop innovative and creative responses that can shape Africa’s future
The programme is a 5-day facilitated learning process.
It utilizes case studies and interactive classroom exercises to enhance the acquisition of critical thinking and analytical skills that can be applied to deliver business value.
The participants will spend valuable time in small group discussions, where they will also start to shape and refine their own strategy and sphere of influence when they return to their organization.
In addition to inputs from the experienced faculty, participants will benefit from opportunities to engage with a range of guest contributors (drawn from business, non-governmental organizations, academia and government), all of whom are selected on the basis of their specialist knowledge and experience.
The mode of delivery is in-person/face-to-face.
Who Should Attend?
The Sustainability Leadership Programme is ideal for middle to senior level executives from the private sector, government and civil society, and is designed to develop informed, skilled and effective leadership in response to systemic sustainability challenges and trends affecting their organizations and those across the continent.
The cost of the programme is Ksh 100,000 and this will cover all learning materials, meals and a certificate upon successful completion of the program.
Executive Public Policy Programmes Brochure Request Form