The world of agribusiness is shifting and its growth is increasingly demanding as the world’s population continues to grow. There is need to develop and grow new technologies, skills and knowledge to enable farms to increase productivity and deliver food and agribusiness products around the globe. There is need to empower consumers with more options, information and purchasing channels than ever before.
The Kenya Vision 2030 identifies agriculture as a key sector through which to deliver 10 percent annual growth rates. Under the Vision, smallholder agriculture will be transformed from subsistence activities, marked by low productivity and low value addition, to ‘an innovative, commercially-oriented, internationally competitive and modern agricultural sector’. One of the key drivers for this transformation is agribusiness. Defined as ‘a sector that comprises all businesses involved in agricultural production, including farming and contract farming, seed supply, agrichemicals, farm machinery, wholesale and distribution, processing, marketing and retail sales’, the potential for agribusiness in Kenya is enormous.
The Masters of Management in Agribusiness will equip the students with all the skills that an MBA student has and in addition be able to understand the agribusiness sector very well. The graduates will not only be more marketable in senior agribusiness positions but will also be able to transform the agribusiness sector in Africa and beyond.
The Masters of Management in Agribusiness program is designed to meet the growing need for agribusiness professionals with advanced conceptual and quantitative training. The degree program provides a unique blend of analytical and business capability.
By 2050, we will be about nine billion people on earth, and we all need food. Resources are scarce and the needs plentiful. The Masters of Management in Agribusiness at Strathmore Business School is designed to equip managers and leaders with methods and tools that will help tackle these huge challenges. In addition, the program equips the participants with tools to develop innovative solutions to challenges faced by food and agricultural enterprises, to manage all aspects of agribusiness operation and to market food products effectively.
The program will give the participants an opportunity to study industrial organization, and innovation in the food industry, and analyze the agribusiness value chain from farm to fork. The program prepares Africa’s food and agribusiness sectors reinvent themselves.
Participants who successfully complete the program will be able to
- Work with economics and policy in an international perspective with a special emphasis on food, agribusiness and development.
- Gain knowledge about the way economic incentives can regulate the consumption and production of food, and why rich parts of the world have large food stocks while people in the third world are starving
- Broaden basic knowledge in economics, as well as profound knowledge concerning agricultural, environmental, and consumer issues
- Gain analytical conceptional skills for quickly acquainting oneself different topics
- Become more Innovative and independent thinkers
- Gain professional and social skills for the fulfillment of executive functions
The contents of the Masters of Management in Agribusiness program are a combination of classic, economic subjects with production engineering subjects from agricultural sciences. The program therefore pays tribute to the changes in the agricultural sector – with trends moving away from primary production towards the growing food processing and marketing industry. Future topics such as food safety, sustainable production, and resource conservation are thereby constantly in the focus of teaching and research.
The program is designed such that students receive expert knowledge which complements their respective backgrounds. Students with agricultural or natural science backgrounds obtain additional qualifications in economic subjects.
- Management of agricultural companies,
- Environmental and quality management,
- Controlling, and Consumer protection.
- Agribusiness Marketing
- Agribusiness Finance
- Farm and Ranch Business Management
- Agricultural and Public Policy
- Agribusiness Law
- Agribusiness Analysis
Students with an economic background obtain additional expert knowledge in crop and animal production processes.
The standard period of study of this Master’s program is two years.
The program is divided into three key components
- A compulsory section,
- An elective section.
- The thesis and international fellowship
Fellowship and Master’s Thesis
Before graduation, participants will complete an international fellowship of 3-4 weeks as well as a master’s thesis. During the fellowship, participants will gain an inside look into the day-to-day operations of an enterprise in the food or agricultural sector in either Israel, Netherlands, Denmark or Germany depending on their area of specialization. Participants will be able to use their fellowship as the basis for their master’s thesis, in which they will examine a problem faced in the agribusiness industry and propose a solution.
- Producers, processors, and distributors of agricultural and food products
- Marketers of fresh and packaged foods, convenience meals, and snacks
- Major grocery chains, specialty food retailers, and food service providers
- Manufacturers and distributors of agricultural supplies and farm equipment
- Financial services firms that directly serve the agribusiness industry
- Government agencies and educational institutions that further agribusiness for the public good
- County government executives and Directors of Agriculture
- Biotech companies that shape the future of global food, pharmaceutical, and energy sectors
- Researchers who are keen in shaping the agribusiness research think tanks
Holders of First Class or Upper Second Class Honors degrees from recognized universities; or
- Holders of other related qualifications from recognized universities, considered by the Academic Council as equivalent to a First Class or Upper Second Class degree; or
- Holders of Lower Second Class degrees plus Postgraduate Diplomas or Certificates.
- Any other criteria that may be approved by the Academic Council.
All applicants will also be required to attend and pass an oral interview and a Graduate Entrance Examination (GEE). A valid Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) score may be used instead of the GEE.
The program fee is Ksh 729, 500
Application forms are available at the SBS office or can be downloaded from HERE. Send the completed form with your CV, two reference letters (one academic and one personal/employer), copies of your degree certificates and transcripts and 2 passport size photographs to firstname.lastname@example.org
You may also drop your fully completed application form at our offices at Strathmore Business School.
Online applications can be done from HERE