Managing large infrastructure projects can be a daunting task. The arduous task of any project manager is to ensure that the financial, tax, risk, procurement and logistics aspects in such projects.
Sustainable financial management for large projects is designed to expose participants to the most dynamic aspects in managing large infrastructure projects with a focus on public-private partnership-type of projects.
Participants will get to draw experiences from experienced project financial managers and consultants who bring very recent perspectives in managing large projects.
The programme has been designed for Finance Managers and Project Controllers of Construction companies investing in energy, roads, solar, dams and other related projects. The programme is also suitable for project managers in both the private and public sectors.
It will expose participants to local and practical experiences and solutions to handling large projects at local level, while minimizing project costs as far as possible. International experience will also be shared by the facilitators in the programme.
The programme will comprise of the following modules:
Initial project considerations
PROJECT PLANNING AND BUDGETING
- Importance of a project committee and its functions.
- Project planning process.
- Project plan custodian.
- Management of project cost change orders.
Project financing essentials
PROJECT FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT
- What is project finance and how is it different from corporate finance?
- Sources of project finance in developing countries.
- Project finance security – project guarantees and bonds
- Emerging trends in project financing in developing countries
- Optimal debt structures in Project Finance.
- The Project Sponsor and lender risk – reward analysis.
- An insight into the Kenyan project financing environment.
CLIENT AND PROJECT FINANCIER MANAGEMENT
- Effective communication with client especially on time and cost overruns caused by client and/financier.
- Invoicing milestone negotiation with client and/project financier. Understanding the scope of the project.
- Project progress reporting to client and project financier.
- Management of preconditions for project financing drawdown.
- Invoicing schedule management and tracking. Effective invoicing mechanisms.
PROJECT IMPLEMENTATION, COST AND INVOICING CONTROL
- Cost monitoring and cost variance analysis.
- Project risk and opportunities identification and management.
- Invoicing milestone tracking and management.
PROJECT PROCUREMENT AND LOGISTICS MANAGEMENT
- Identification of procurement needs.
- Identification of procurement timelines.
- Synchronization of the procurement and logistics targets in Letters of Credit facility negotiation.
- Management and control of Letter of Credit Facility.
Project risk and uncertainty
QUALITATIVE RISK IDENTIFICATION, ANALYSIS AND MITIGATION
- Qualitative risk analysis in projects and its importance.
- Sponsor risk analysis and mitigation.
- Country and political risk analysis and mitigation.
- Construction risk analysis and mitigation.
- Operation and maintenance risk analysis and mitigation.
- Supply risk analysis and mitigation.
- Sales and offtake risk analysis and mitigation.
- Compliance risk analysis and mitigation.
- An insight into the Kenyan environment.
Tax compliance in projects
TAX MANAGEMENT IN PROJECTS
- Overview of tax in projects
- Special purpose vehicles for tax management
- Management of Value Added Tax in Projects
- Management of withholding tax
- Management of import duties
- Application of tax exemption certificates
- Management of Pay As You Earn (PAYE), NITA levies, NSSF and the NHIF remittances.
- Tax management in projects.
The programme will be delivered by a team of experts in project financial management, some of which are certified in project management and have led large projects in public and private sectors. Relevant and practical case studies will be used in facilitating the training sessions.
Duration of the Programme
The programme will be offered over a two-day period. Extensive use of case-study and simulation approaches will be applied.
Duration: 2 full days
Nathan Derrick Mbalilwa,
Phone: +254 (0) 715 642 460
Duration: 2 days
Cost: Kshs. 59,950 (inclusive of VAT and taxes)