Over the last 10 years Strathmore Business School (SBS) has been influencing leadership of public and private sectors in the continent through the development of international executive business management and leadership programs. Building on this experience, SBS is set to launch a PhD program in Business and Management in response to business environment needs, as a reflection of maturity of the school and the overwhelming demand for the program. The program curriculum comprises of one year of taught courses followed by two years of research thesis. The program is designed to produce scholars and practitioners of management theory and practice who will anchor sustainable and ethical socio-economic development in the continent and beyond. The program’s faculty and supervisors have extensive global experience in research, teaching and supervision. The program will also expose the participants to global trends through the planned international modules. In addition to the core courses, each PhD student will be able to specialize in one of the seven areas of specialization. These courses are intended to focus the student on a particular research paradigm and as preparation for the doctoral thesis and subsequent professional career.
Upon admission to the program, a student will pursue the six core courses and one specialization course over a period of one year. Core courses The core courses will expose the students to fundamental theories in business and management, current research methodology techniques and bring to the fore the importance of ethics, responsible management and sustainability in business and management, research and practice. These courses provide a broad academic grounding for a student to subsequently pursue their specialization course and research. Specialization courses These courses are intended to focus the student on a particular research paradigm and as a preparation for the doctoral thesis and subsequent professional career. Comprehensive Examination The comprehensive examination will be done at the end of year one and will mainly test the students competence in their specialization research area. The program is scheduled to take a minimum of three academic years and a maximum of six academic years delivered through course work, research and thesis. The program course work will be delivered via face-to-face sessions, tutorials and assignments.
- Strategic Management Research
- Entrepreneurship Research
- Organizational Behaviour and Human Talent Research
- Finance Research
- Accounting Research
- Marketing Research
- Operations Management, Logistics and Supply Chain Research
The program adopts a pull mechanism in that candidates are predominantly admitted to the program only after a potential supervisor indicates an interest to supervise them based on the concept note submitted during the application process. This ensures that student’s research topics are from very early on aligned to faculty research areas and to the overall mission of the program, the school and the University. Such an alignment is aimed at improving the student’s graduation rate.
To be eligible for admission you should be a;
- Holder of a Bachelor’s degree and a Master’s degree, at least one of which should be a business or management related program
- Proficient in both oral and written English
- Complete and submit the online application form alongside all stipulated documents.
- A short curriculum vitae
- Your bachelor’s and master’s degree transcripts and certificates
- Your master’s research dissertation/thesis
- A concept note which should be no more than five pages long (approximately 1500 words in one of the program specialization areas clearly outlining the research problem, the key questions you are seeking to address and proposed methodological approach
- Two reference letters. These reference letters should be written by people who have supervised you in an academic or employment environment. At least one should be from a university faculty member familiar with your academic work. Your recommendations should directly address your suitability for admission into the PhD program. Before applying, confirm that your referees have agreed to submit letters of recommendation on your behalf. You will be required to provide their email addresses. Please note that reference letters should be received before application deadline.
- Demonstration of English proficiency, where required
- Identity card / Bio page of your passport
- Passport Photo
- Payment of a non-refundable application fee of Ksh. 6,000 or USD 60 via mobile money or bank deposit
- Once a complete application form has been received, it is reviewed by the admissions committee to check eligibility to the program and at the same time the applicant’s concept note is sent to appropriate faculty members for consideration. You will be notified at this stage if we are unable to provide supervision for your research area or if your admission to the program is denied
- Applicants whose concept notes have attracted a potential supervisor are invited in writing for an oral interview. Oral interviews will be held weekly on Tuesday’s and Thursday’s.
- Once the oral interview is done, the admission committee will meet again to review your application in totality and reach a final decision. You will thereafter receive an email confirming the decision. This process will take up to 4 weeks.
See the full list of our faculty here
Module I: 13th – 25th August, 2018
Module II: 12th – 24th November, 2018
Module III: 11th – 23rd February, 2019
Module IV: 13th – 25th May, 2019
Comprehensive written exam:
19th July, 2019
Comprehensive oral exam:
25th – 26th July, 2019